Sunday, April 10, 2011

Brand Monitoring for FeltBeats.com

FeltBeats Logo

(image source: http://www.facebook.com/feltbeats)

I'm monitoring FeltBeats (the music of Tom Felton, best known for his role as Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies). I will monitor this 'brand' and see what people are saying about him and his music.

Tom and FeltBeats both have a large presence online. FeltBeats.com has large buttons on the home page saying "Follow Tom Felton on Twitter" and "Follow FeltBeats on Twitter," so you know they're big into tweeting. From reading them myself, I know that Tom and the FeltBeats update a lot and already interact with fans a lot.

To monitor FeltBeats, I first created a HootSuite account and made a stream for @FeltBeats and @TomFelton and also for keyword "Tom Felton." I can read people's comments about Tom, his music, and other activities he's involved in, like acting and Tom in the press. Later, when I began my RSS feeds on Google Reader, I added the Twitter feeds to that site. I will likely use primarily Google Reader for all my RSS feeds.

I created an RSS feed on Google Reader to follow sites about Tom and his music (FeltBeats blog, blog and news mentions of Tom and FeltBeats, and Twitter mentions). Following these different categories will give me a wide range of information about Tom and his music. FeltBeats blog will all be positive information from their POV about Tom and his music, whereas the other blogs and news mentions are anything that anyone writes about him, his music, his acting, or even his personal life. They could be positive or negative. Knowing all attidtudes about a brand is great for the Brand, because they can see what their buyers dislike about their Brand and act on that knowledge, without conducting focus groups or surveys.

I am also using Social Mention to Follow everything online about Tom Felton. It was suggested by this blogger from Conversation Media not to rely only on Social Mention, because it misses some things. Also, it mixes all form of mediums together: Twitter, blogs, news. Because so many people are tweeting about Tom and Feltbeats, it's a Twitter overload on my Social Mention RSS feed.

All of this will help the FeltBeats brand, because those at FeltBeats, if they follow everything that I am now following, will know how Tom and his music are perceived in the public. What people like about him (to take into account when marketing him and his music) and maybe what people don't like about him, that they can downplay or fix when promoting FeltBets.

Thanks to Conversation Media for their blog on "Social Media Marketing for Beginners #1: Listening and Brand Monitoring" for helping me through this assignment!

No comments:

Post a Comment